Making a positive impact on people's lives
Meet Alejandro Gomez Sanchez, Wellbeing Personal Trainer, Rehab Specialist and Health Check Assessor at Nuffield Health Battersea Fitness & Wellbeing Centre.
How long have you worked for Nuffield Health?
I have been working at Nuffield Health since March 2022.
Tell us about your career progression at Nuffield Health?
I started as a Wellbeing Personal Trainer on March 2022. I was very motivated and excited for the opportunity I was given, and I got my firsts clients on the first week and I started to build my client portfolio quickly, and a few months later (July), I saw for first time the Joint Pain Programme, which I falled in love with. The idea of the programme is just fantastic and I had already had some experiencies on the past with injuries sport and non-sport related and also with elderly population, so I though it was a great chance to improve and demostrante what I was able to do for them. I became Rehab Specialist and since then I have been running this programme with 6 differents groups along this time… so, it’s getting very popular and is obtaining really good results! After that, I was asked for being Health Check Assessor at Battersea & Fulham, which becomes me on one of the Assessors for Joint Pain & Personal Best Programme.
Tell us about the team you work in?
My team is honestly amazing. We are like a little family where everybody help to each other and trust on each other. It is a nice environment, very friendly and really multicultural and with positive vibes everywhere! It is always a pleasure to come to work!
Also, and specially, I would really like to thanks Emily Trombetta for giving me that opportunity and for trusting on me, even when my english skills weren’t good enough. I came to UK when Covid-19 started, with all my studies finished, but I did not know any English at all (only basics stuffs), so I had to start in a warehouse job while I was learning the language. I was in there for one year and a half until I started to trust myself and my communication skills. Then, I started to send job applications for PT, Rehab, Coaching… until Emily contacted me. She knew it was going to be challenging but there was no room for fear… And how glad I am to have taken the bull by the horns!
At the end, thanks to this opportunity, I have really improved my communication, I got some fluency and confidence while I was doing what I enjoy the most: teaching people how to train and how to move. Definitely, everything has changed since then.
Why did you choose to work at Nuffield Health?
I chose to work at Nuffield for several reasons that align perfectly with my personal and professional goals. Firstly, I have always had a passion for healthcare and people’s wellbeing, and Nuffield Health is renowned for its commitment to the health and well-being of its patients and employees. This alignment with my personal values was a significant factor in my choice.
Futhermore, Nuffield Health has an excellent reputation in the healthcare sector, being a company with many opportunities to grow up in different fields of the health and wellbeing, and its dedication to excellence and innovation immediately drew me in. I want to be part of a team at the forefront of healthcare and constantly seeking ways to improve people’s quality of life.
I was also impressed by Nuffield Health’s culture, which promotes a collaborative, multicultural and supportive environment. The opportunity to work with highly skilled and dedicated healthcare professionals is exciting to me, as I am confident that I can learn a great deal and contribute to the team’s success.
In summary, my decision to work at Nuffield Health is based on my passion for health and wellbeing, the organization’s outstanding reputation in the healthcare sector, and the culture of collaboration it fosters. I am thrilled about the opportunity to grow professionally and make a positive difference in people’s lives through my work here.
What’s your favourite thing about working at Nuffield Health?
My favourite thing about working at Nuffield are the relationships you make in here. Not only with my team colleagues but also with the gym customers and clients. I love training but I love even more when you are able to make strong laces with them, by having a close-approach, and creating the perfect atmoshphere to improve or develop their fitness wellbeing, their mental wellbeing and their overall wellness.
Every day, I have the opportunity to make a positive impact on people's lives by contributing to their health and well-being. This sense of fulfillment and the knowledge that I am part of an organization that genuinely cares about its patients and employees are incredibly rewarding.
What are your career highlights?
My career has been marked by several significant highlights and accomplishments that have shaped my journey in the field of sports and physical fitness. Here are some key qualifications and experiences that stand out:
- BSc in Physical Activity and Sports Sciences (Spain): Completing my Bachelor of Science degree in Physical Activity and Sports Sciences provided me with a solid foundation in the field. It allowed me to explore various aspects of sports and physical activity, developing a strong theoretical background.
- MSc in Optimization of Training and Physical-Sports Rehabilitation (Spain): Pursuing a Master of Science degree in Optimization of Training and Physical-Sports Rehabilitation was a pivotal moment in my career. This advanced degree provided me with specialized knowledge and skills in optimizing training programs and aiding in sports rehabilitation, enabling me to work with athletes and individuals seeking to improve their physical well-being.
- EQF LEVEL 6. Personal Trainer, Advanced Health & Exercise Specialist (by EREPS, UK): Obtaining the EQF Level 6 certification as a Personal Trainer and Advanced Health & Exercise Specialist from EREPS in the UK was a significant achievement. It not only validated my expertise but also allowed me to provide top-quality training and guidance to clients, helping them reach their fitness and health goals.
- Personal Trainer in a multidisciplinary center. My work in a multidisciplinary center allowed me to gain practical experience in creating personalized fitness plans and guiding individuals on their health and fitness journeys. It was fantastic as the all team was working towards the same goal (doctor, physiotherapist, pt, nutritionist and psicologist).
- Physical Trainer and Coach in a soccer team. Serving as a Physical Trainer and Coach for a soccer team was an enriching experience. I had the opportunity to work closely with young athletes, enhancing their performance and promoting injury prevention.
- Personal Trainer in a gym, becoming PT Leader. My role as a Personal Trainer in a gym not only allowed me to help clients achieve their fitness goals but also provided an opportunity for professional growth. I eventually became a PT Leader, taking on additional responsibilities and leadership in the gym.
- Publication in a National Soccer Magazine about a preventive protocol for lower limb injuries in cadets (2018): Having an article published in a National Soccer Magazine in 2018 was a notable achievement. It demonstrated my commitment to research and injury prevention within the field.
These qualifications and experiences have not only expanded my knowledge and skills but have also allowed me to make a positive impact on the lives of individuals and athletes, helping them achieve their fitness and performance goals. Each of these highlights has played a crucial role in shaping my career in sports and physical fitness.