DBS Requirements

What Information Do I Need?
1. Your current full name and address
2. Any other names you have used, along with the dates you started and stopped using them
3. A full and continuous address history for the past 5 years, including UK postcodes, where applicable
4. Your passport details, if you have one
5. Your UK driving licence details, if you have one
6. Your UK National Insurance Number, if you have one

How Many Documents Do I Need?

The application process requires that you produce a number of original documents to support the data you will provide on the online application form. All documents must be in your current name (excluding UK Birth Certificate).
At least one document must show your current address and one must show your date of birth.

The acceptable documents are divided into the 3 groups shown below. If you own a valid Passport and/or UK photocard drivers licence, you must produce these, plus 1 or 2 additional documents from any group to make a minimum
of 3 documents in total for a Route 1 Application.

If you do not own a valid Passport, UK/EU photocard Drivers Licence, original UK Birth Certificate, Adoption Certificate or a Biometric Residence Permit and you are an EEA or UK Citizen, then you can proceed with a Route 2 application.
This will require 1 document from Group 2a PLUS 2 other documents from either Group 2a or 2b and consent to DDC undertaking an Identity Validation Check with Experian Ltd.

UK and EEA citizens who cannot produce the required documentation and non-EEA citizens who cannot produce a Group 1 document will need to apply using the DBS’s paper application form and attend a local police station to have
their fingerprints taken.

How Are The Documents Grouped?

Group 1 Documents

  • Any current and valid Passport
  • UK Biometric Residence Permit
  • Current EU/UK Photocard Driving Licence
  • UK Birth Certificate (issued with 12 months of DOB)
  • UK Adoption Certificate

Group 2a Documents

  • Current, non-EU Photocard Driving Licence
  • UK/EU Paper Drivers Licence
  • UK Birth Certificate (issued 12+ months after DOB)
  • UK Marriage / Civil Partnership Certificate
  • HM Forces ID Card
  • UK Firearms Licence

Group 2b Documents

  • UK/EEA mortgage statement*
  • UK/EEA bank or building society statement**
  • UK bank account opening letter**
  • UK/EEA credit card statement**
  • UK Financial statement (eg pension)*
  • P45* or P60*
  • Council tax statement*
  • Valid UK work permit or visa
  • Valid letter of employer sponsorship
  • Utility bill**
  • Benefit statement**
  • Government correspondence (eg HMRC)**
  • Valid EU National ID card
  • Valid ‘PASS’ card
  • Letter from Headteacher or Principal (16 to 19 year olds only)

* Issued in the last 12 months
** Issued in the last 3 months

For more information, visit www.ddc.uk.net